All Wu Academy instructors have traveled in China and studied martial arts with the masters there. They know from personal experience the life-enriching benefits of these beautiful and deep arts. At Wu Academy our instruction is a continuation of tradition going back thousands of years! Our enthusiasm comes from a love of what we do, we know how to teach you to be your best, and our patience comes from experience and confidence that everyone can master the martial arts with time and persistence.
Founder and Head Instructor: Shifu Justin Eggert
Shifu Justin Eggert has been training in martial arts for over 20 years, and is the founder of Wu Academy. His passion for the Chinese martial arts has led him around the world training with famous masters such as Wang Xian, Li Deyin, Zhong Xueyong, and Li Shudong, to name a few. This experience has changed his life, and has given him a well-rounded knowledge of traditional and modern forms of Tai Chi, Qigong, and Kung Fu / Wushu.
Shifu Justin Eggert’s credentials are many for such a young Master:
- 4-time World Silver Medalist in Traditional Wushu
- World Gold Medalist in Health Qigong
- Winner of over 50 Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medals and trophies in USA regional and national competition circuits
- Certified Tai Chi Master
- Certified IWUF “International Judge”
- Certified Martial Arts Instructor
- Instructor of 6 World Gold, Silver, and Bronze Medalists
- Certified 4th Duan in Health Qigong
- Served as a Judge numerous times to select Team USA
- Served as a Coach of the 2012 USA Traditional Wushu Team
- Current Board Member of the National Tai Chi Wellness Foundation
- Current Vice President of the USA Health Qigong Federation
- Former Instructor at Stanford University’s H.I.P. program and Tai Chi research projects to research the scientific health benefits of Tai Chi
- Current Adjunct Professor teaching Tai Chi at Santa Rosa Junior College
Shifu Justin Eggert uses his fluent Mandarin Chinese language skills to enrich his understanding of the underlying principles and philosophy, then tirelessly searches for special teaching methods to adapt his unique methods of translating this knowledge to his students. If you study with him, you will find he is very friendly and generously gives to every student.
I’ve been training with Shifu Justin Eggert for over 5 years now, and the experience has been amazing and life changing in a truly positive way. Tai chi is deeply rooted in my life. Thank you!”
– Miguel Gonzalez, Wu Academy Student
Assistant Instructor: Shixiong Austin Prudhomme
Shixiong Austin Prudhomme began his studies at the age of 15, first under Master Li Shudong, then under Shifu Justin Eggert. He is now Assistant Instructor to Shifu Eggert, and at Wu Academy is called a “Shixiong” (pronounce shir-sheeung), which means “Eldest Martial Brother.” Traditionally in the martial arts schools of China, this title is used to show respect to a Senior Student / Instructor. Shixiong always puts his full effort and enthusiasm into his own training and into his teaching as well.
Austin has won many prestigious awards, including his first as a member of Team USA at the 2008 3rd Worlds Traditional Wushu Championships in China.
His medals include:
- 2008: 3rd Worlds Traditional Wushu Championship (Wudang, China) | Two Bronze Medals in kung fu | 1 Bronze Medal in group tai chi
- 2009 & 2010: Porter’s Martial Arts Tournament (Santa Rosa, CA) | Four 1st place trophies in kung fu and weapons | All Around Grand Championship Award: Best in Competition (kung fu staff form)
- 2012: Golden State International Wushu Championship (San Jose, CA) | Two Gold Medals in kung fu, weapons and open hand